Monday, October 19, 2009

Finally a part of "The DePaulia" writing staff

When I started going to DePaul a little over three years ago I said that I would definitely make it a priority to be part of "The DePaulia" (DePaul's student newspaper). Due to schedule conflicts with classes and work it was difficult for me to attend the paper's weekly Monday night meetings.

Last spring I heard that DePaul would be offering a Writing for DePaulia class. I quickly put it in my course cart and enrolled. Marla Krause, the paper's faculty advisor, is the instructor. We meet Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:10-4:40. On Monday's we discuss story ideas and do preliminary research. On Wednesdays we write the rough drafts of our stories. Our final drafts are due to the editors by 5pm on Thursdays.

This class is very convenient for students like me who have very busy schedules and cannot commit to attending weekly DePaulia meetings. I'm really glad I was able to take it my senior year. I would have been very disappointed if I went through all four of my years at DePaul being a journalism major without contributing to the paper.

So far I've had 3 stories published in the DePaulia. The first story was really fun to do because I just talked with different businesses around the Lincoln Park and Loop campuses about the discounts they offered to DePaul students. The most recent 2 stories about the typhoons in the Philippines were very important to me because it is a situation that concerns my parents' homeland and I was flattered that the DePaulia editors chose me to cover them.

Call for help from the Philippines
Philippines hit hard by typhoon

No comments:

Post a Comment